Mark Beaumont highlights Entrepreneurship Week
World record-breaking adventurer and University Rector Mark Beaumont BEM will give his insights into what makes a successful entrepreneur, and students, staff and graduates will vie for £26,000 in business support, at the University of Dundee’s Entrepreneurship Week next month.
Mark, who completed his remarkable around the world cycle in only 79 days last year, has built a successful business around his adventures. He will share stories from his epic challenges at the Principal’s Annual Lecture in Entrepreneurship, a public event taking place at 6pm on Wednesday 21 February.
The University, in partnership with Elevator, will also formally open the Centre for Entrepreneurship the same day.
Designed to promote and support creative, innovation-driven companies from across Dundee, Tayside and beyond, the centre – located within the University of Dundee campus in the Heathfield building – represents a £250,000 investment by Elevator, the University and other key partners.
The new centre aims to drive innovation within businesses and commercialise new and existing technologies across many sectors, including life sciences, digital media, gaming and other creative sectors.
Entrepreneurship Week ends on Friday 23 February with the Venture 2018 competition, where £26,000 is on offer to support new business ideas among students, staff and recent graduates.
Entrepreneurship Week runs in parallel with the city’s wider Dundee Business Week from 19 - 23 February 2018.
“The University is a hub of knowledge, creativity and innovation, and staff, students and alumni across our community are bursting with brilliant business ideas that can be developed into successful enterprises with the right support,” said Professor Sir Pete Downes, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University.
“I am delighted that Mark Beaumont is able to join us to deliver our annual lecture, following last year’s excellent event with Josh Littlejohn. We are connecting our students, staff and wider community with some of the brightest entrepreneurs in Scotland.
“The public lecture and the Venture competition are only some of the highlights of our Entrepreneurship Week. We have amazing support from business organisations across Scotland for a packed programme full of valuable help and information for those looking to turn their ideas into a business.
“The Business Gateway are hosting a conference event, we have an employee-owned business workshop with the School of Business and sessions from Scottish Edge, Converge Challenge and the RSE Enterprise Fellowship programme, among others.”
Venture 2018 gives entrants the chance to put their ideas to leading business innovators and potential investors
Venture 2018 is open for applications now, with seven specific categories for:
- Undergraduate Student Award, Early Stage Idea (£2,500 prize fund, sponsored by Business Gateway and the University of Dundee, Centre of Entrepreneurship)
- School of Business Student Award, for any School of Business student currently studying or who graduated within the last 2 years (£2,500 prize fund sponsored by University of Dundee School of Business)
- Undergraduate Student Award, final year students graduating Summer 2018 (£2,500 prize fund sponsored by University of Dundee, Centre of Entrepreneurship)
- Postgraduate Student Award (£5,000 prize fund sponsored by James Keiller Investments)
- Recent Graduate Award, for those who graduated within last 2 years (£2,500 prize fund sponsored by Elevator)
- Staff Award, Non-Research Related Idea (£5,000 prize fund sponsored by Elevator and the University of Dundee Organisational and Professional Development)
- Staff Award, Research Related Idea (£6,000 prize fund sponsored by Research and Innovation Services and University of Dundee School of Business
Applications for Venture 2018 are open now and must be submitted before 5pm on Sunday 6 February 2018. Details of the competition and how to apply are available online.
Mark Beaumont’s public lecture takes place at 6pm on Wednesday 21 February in the Dalhousie Building on the University city campus. The event is free to attend and tickets can be booked in advance here
For full details of Entrepreneurship Week 2018, and to book spaces at the events see http://uod.ac.uk/entweek